<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, April 07, 2005

I'll try to get to posting about spring break eventually, but the farther away it gets the less likely it is that I'll ever catch up.

So right now...I just went on a job interview to teach at a school for kids with learning disabilities. I WANT the job, it was awesome, but unfortunately while I was sitting in the office the boss had to take a call from someone with connections to people on the board, and this someone wanted the job I wanted too. I was so bummed! He sort of told me after that (since it was obvious) that he might not have a position for me, but another one might open up. It doesn't feel fair, but that's life I guess. Not as much of a meritocracy as we'd like.

And speaking of, working on the thesis, which will heretofore be called "the t-word." Death to anyone who says its name and induces a panic attack, which I seem to get every time I think about how much I have to do in a month. My advisor gave me a heart attack when he emailed and asked when I could get a draft to him. I sat at the computer hyperventilating because, well, I haven't actually started...writing...yet? Oops. I frantically blitzed back saying that I needed smaller deadlines than the whole thing, like in chapters, and I'd get to work right away, etc. He never emailed me back, but when he ran into my boyfriend a few days later he laughed, "Boy, she really seemed to freak out, but I was just talking about a draft of her intro. Guess I should email her back, huh?"

Right now I'm trying to work on a chapter about Atlas Shrugged and femininity. Touching on how Rand defines feminine and masculine, how she sets up the distinctions, why it was necessary for her to make Dagny ultra-feminine in some scenes (clothes, body, hair) to put the debate about women's capabilities back in her own court, how powerful women are regarded today as unfeminine (Hillary, Janet Reno, Condi) if their clothes and looks aren't up to scratch, about the swapping of "chains" between Lillian and Dagny, how the heroes and the others view femininity. If you've read the book and have any thoughts, let me know, I'd love to have new perspectives in the mix.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com